That age-old trap of thinking there’s nothing to do can drain the life out of your summer.
Never fear! TwoTone is here!
Our team compiled a list of our favorites when it comes to summer in Iowa (especially in Greater Des Moines). Be inspired to make the most of those extra daylight hours!
Eat & Drink
Cool down, fuel up, and head over to these summer favorites.
- Paws & Pints: Sometimes Fido needs a night out, too.
- The Yankee Clipper: We’ve got two words for you…Taco…Tuesday.
- The Creamery: Delicious ice cream after a day at Saylorville and Big Creek? You betcha.
- Firetrucker Brewery: Pro tip: Order the Yankee Clipper’s one-of-a-kind tacos from Firetrucker on Tuesdays.
- Smash Park: Fun, food, and drinks all in one place (two actually—Wes Des Moines and Pella locations).
The heat index says stay inside, but the little mermaid says, “I want to be where the people are.”
- Ledges State Park: Bring the whole family and your four-legged friends for hiking and creek stomping.
- Clive Greenbelt Trail: Ride, walk, or run on this beautiful trail with convenient connections.
- The Brenton Arboretum: Get a dog pass and let your poochie swim in the ponds and streams.
- Gray’s Lake: Rent a kayak or paddleboard or just rollerblade around the nearly two-mile paved loop like it’s 1998 all over again.
- Rail Explorers in Boone: Choo-choo! Ride the rails on pedal-powered vehicles.
- Maquoketa Caves State Park: With more caves than any state park, this magical place has been a favorite since the 1860s. Bring a flashlight!
- Field of Dreams in Dyersville: Is this heaven? No, it’s Iowa! Come for a Ghost Player Show or take a tour of the famous home.
- Seven Oaks Recreation: Canoeing, kayaking, tubing, and…paintball? Yep, there’s summer fun for everyone.
We all know you’re going to the Iowa State Fair, but what other events are you enjoying the rest of the summer?
- Des Moines Arts Festival: Take in the spectacular art, live music, and food in downtown Des Moines June 23–25.
- Clear Lake July 4th Celebration: Amusement rides, bingo, a parade, live music, and a market—what’s not to love? Celebrate June 29–July 5.
- RAGBRAI: Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa July 22–29 is a weeklong party on two wheels!
- National Balloon Classic in Indianola: See more than 100 amazing hot air balloons July 28–August 5.
- Adel Sweet Corn Festival: Visit this beautiful town Saturday, August 12, for a street party, tournaments, and FREE SWEET CORN!
So you missed all the big events…that’s okay! This list was made with you in mind:
- Zoo Brew: The zoo isn’t just for kids. Wednesdays in June, July, and early August.
- Downtown Farmers’ Market: Head down for a classic Saturday morning.
- Knoxville Raceway: With multiple events, you don’t have to pick just one night to have fun at the spring car capital of the world!
- Warren County Speedway: You haven’t seen figure-8 racing until you’ve seen it here.
- Iowa Cubs Baseball: Go for the concession-stand food (with a side of baseball).
- Moonlit Movies and Summer Sundaze Music Series: Jamie Hurd Amphitheater in West Des Moines has entertainment and food trucks for the entire family.
- Valle Drive-In: See today’s blockbusters at Newton’s throwback drive-in theater. TwoTone hack: Get takeout from Smokey D’s BBQ to eat during the movie.
- Jazz at Noce: Watch La La Land before you go.
- Thursdays In Pella: Food trucks and theme nights—follow the Facebook group to get in on the fun.
- Taco Tuesday Ride to Cumming Tap: Hop on the Great Western Trail by Jethro’s BBQ Southside and ride to this dive bar.
Yep, Iowa is awesome—and this is just a start. Get more ideas at traveliowa.com.
With more than 10 years of agency experience, Jenny has had the privilege of working with a large variety of brands. She loves partnering with other business owners and entrepreneurs, and specializes in brand development. From digital marketing to online course creation, Jenny’s knowledge and skillset has prepared her to be a successful creative director.